A wonderful mac and cheese recipe that kids love. Plus it comes packed with extra veggies! It calls for summer or yellow squash, but you can also use butternut squash in the winter.
- 1 1/2 cups elbow noodles
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup summer squash puree
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese (1/4-1/2 cup)
- Cook elbow noodles according to package directions and drain.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add 1 tablespoon of flour and mix until thick and bubbly (but not burned!). Add 1/2 cup of milk and stir till it begins to bubble again. Add 1/2 cup summer squash puree, and stir till fully smooth and mixed in. Add cream cheese and mix until smooth. Add salt.
- Add the cooked macaroni to your thickened cheese sauce. Top with shredded cheddar or our favorite, Colby Jack!
Recipe by Amy Roskelley at superhealthykids.com
Photo courtesy of Super Healthy Kids
Share this article: