Whether you use it to decorate or eat, this is a great craft for little hands.
What You Need
• Letter-shaped cookie cutters or holiday shapes
• Gingerbread dough
• Frosting in different colors
• Sprinkles or small candies (optional)
• Ribbon, string or yarn
• Drinking straw
1. Use your favorite recipe to make your sugar cookie or gingerbread dough. If you are short on time, you can use a mix or premade dough.
2. Roll out the dough and cut out enough letters to spell Merry Christmas or any other message you would like to use. Poke holes up at the top of the cookies with the straw. Make sure the letters are at least 1/2 inch wide at the top.
3. Bake according to the recipe you are using.
4. After pulling the cookies out of the oven, repoke the holes up at the top with the straw while the cookies are still hot.
5. Decorate the cookies with the frosting, sprinkles, and candies.
6. Thread ribbon or string through the holes on the top of the cookies and hang it up! If you want to keep the letters from sliding together, tie the cookies onto the main piece of ribbon using smaller pieces of ribbon.
For more ideas on how to make your garland or for some great sugar cookie and gingerbread recipes:
Holiday Garland Cookies (FamilyFun Magazine)
Sweet Gingerbread Garland (Glory at Glorious Treats)